• As noted in the book, this was originally published as OUT OF THE DARK, my debut novel. It was also M/F and is no longer available.
• I knew I could make the story stronger (in addition to making it M/M), so I did.
• Eric's Prussian heritage was inspired by my own.
• A lot of the cases, quotes, locations, and jokes in this book were taken from the 15 years I spent in law enforcement.
• I drew heavily on feline biology and social structures to create a new kind of vampire society, which is why they can be out in daylight (they just don't like it), open their mouths to "smell" better, males live apart from females, only females can "reproduce," and their vampiric vision is reduced to shades of blue and green.
• Vampires' intolerance to gold is all due to alchemical concepts, because gold symbolizes the sun. Since they have an aversion to the sun, it made sense to have an aversion to gold, in contrast to silver/the moon, which is primarily linked to werewolves.